How would you feel if you got a super sweet gig, CEO of some rad company that everybody loves, and then people petitioned The White House to get you fired? Well that's sort of what happened this week when Ben Affleck was named as the next Batman. Maybe it's because people were vying for Ryan Gosseling or Matthew Goode and Josh Brolin after Christian Bale opted out and nobody saw it coming.
But to be clear, this movie, still untitled, is a follow-up to Superman "Man of Steel" and will include, you guessed it, Superman. You'd think people would be more upset that they're re-creating Freddy vs. Jason with Batman and Superman than who's chosen to play the part. The movie is due out in June 2015, by the way.
Remember when they said Heath Ledger couldn't pull off the Joker? But I digress, the Internet is not OK with #Batfleck, the new hashtag dubbed for Ben Affleck as Batman. The Internet is inflamed with people taking out their hate sticks and thrashing them around. As @TimCarvell put it, "Spend ten years working your way back into everyone's good graces. Win an Oscar. Then you get cast as Batman, and BAM! You're Gigli again."
It wasn't all bad though. Here are 11 distinct types of reactions to the news, including the newest trending hashtag, #BetterBatmanThanBenAffleck which has turned out to be the least witty but longwinded hashtag ever.
1. Genuine concern for your health.
If your unwavering rage about Batman lasts more than four hours please contact your physician.
- Donny (@theAtomicDon) August 23, 2013
2. Jokes about who might make a better Batman, commonly including references to Oprah and photos of fat men in capes.
sure, i can think of a #BetterBatmanThanBenAffleck... but the silver lining is at least it is not john mayer.- Martha Sowerby (@marthasowerby) August 23, 2013
3. Lots, and lots of references to the Batman veterans.
Y'all think George Clooney gave Ben Affleck tips on how to suck as Batman?- Elizabeth Crews (@libbycrews) August 23, 2013
4. Parents who are publicly upset that they "have" to see it (aka making excuses in advance cause y'know, they want to see it).
As a dad, I have to go to all the big superhero movies. Ben Affleck's casting has actually made me love my children less.- Frankie Boyle (@frankieboyle) August 23, 2013
5. The folks who play dumb, and sometimes make a good Dr. Who joke in the meantime.
Personally, I think it's great Peter Capaldi is the new Batman.- Phil Plait (@BadAstronomer) August 23, 2013
6. The jab at fanboys/girls. Preach, sister!
Fanboys are investing more emotion in this Ben Affleck-Batman thing than I have in entire relationships.- Misty Harris (@popcultini) August 23, 2013
7. Ben Affleck is the new ... everything.
I hear the new iPhone is actually going to be Ben Affleck.- Miles Kahn (@mileskahn) August 23, 2013
8. Haters for the haters.
Genuinely proud that we, as a country, were better able to deal with a black president than we were with a Ben Affleck Batman.- CC:Indecision (@indecision) August 23, 2013
9. History jokes. Have at 'em.
all this Ben Affleck hating needs to stop, or have you forgotten what happened when nobody supported John Wilkes Booth's acting career- Matt Oswalt (@Puddinstrip) August 23, 2013
10. And people with a conscience who wonder what it would be like if we landed a sweet job and then the whole Internet told our boss to fire us.
Ben Affleck, don't check the internet today- Jordan Alexandra (@jalexxandra) August 23, 2013
11. Followed by the people who want to say "I told you so" if the miracle ends up not so terrible.
Hey @BenAffleck i just wanted to say you've got all my support in this new adventure you are about to begin. Lauto.
- } (@lauto_) August 24, 2013
Got an opinion of your own? CC me on it @About_Tweeting.